A summer school on magnetism of novel materials.
Held June 22-24 at Uppsala University followed by a workshop in Fagerudd during June 25-26.
The school is intended for Ph.D. students, post docs and young scientists at their early stage career. Several modern topics of magnetism will be discussed during the school and workshop.
- Correlated oxides and heterostructures
- Ultrafast magnetization dynamics
- Molecular magnetism
- Complex magnetic structures
- Thin film magnetism
- Data storage applications
- Hartmut Zabel – Magnetism of novel materials: explored by magnetic neutron scattering
- Peter Svedlindh – Magnetic diagnostics
- Christopher Marrows – Spintronics
- Thomas A Jung – Supramolecular architectures at surfaces: Investigating structure, electron and spin states
- Olle Eriksson – From density functional theory to atomistic spin-dynamics – Part 1, Part 2, Part 3
- Erik Wahlström – Controlling magnetodynamics – structure and material effects in a perovskite system (LSMO)
- R W Chantrell – Ultrafast Magnetization Synamics
- Benjamin W Heinrich – Scanning tunneling microscopy and spectroscopy: insights in the magnetism go single atoms, molecules and artificial nanostructure
Tentative list of speakers
- Biplab Sanyal (Uppsala University, Sweden)
- Heiko Wende (University of Duisburg-Essen, Germany)
- Mark Gubbins (Seagate Technology, Ireland)
Applicants should send their requests for participation to Biplab.Sanyal@physics.uu.se
A limited number of seats are available on first-cum-first basis.
Deadline for application: May 25, 2015
Accommodation Information and Travel Directions
All speakers and participants from outside Uppsala will stay in BEST WESTERN Hotel Svava in Uppsala. (http://www.hotelsvava.se/). The hotel has the list of your names. So just state your name in the reception during check-in and it will be sufficient. Invited speakers will have single room. All others will share a room with another participant.
How to reach Uppsala from Stockholm (Arlanda) airport
You can reach Uppsala by taking either bus or train. Bus takes 40 mins and train takes 18 mins from Arlanda airport to Uppsala central station. Your hotel is located ~300 meters by walk from the central station. Map From Uppsala central station to Hotel : https://goo.gl/maps/Fjz0d
If you want, there are three taxi companies operating between Arlanda airport and any place in Uppsala with a fixed price. In this case tell the driver the address of your destination.
More information regarding how to come to Uppsala can be found in this website
How to reach to the school venue in Angstrom Laboratory (venue of the school)
The most convenient way to come to angstrom from your hotel is to take city bus. Take green city bus number 20 (towards Graneberg) from Uppsala Centralstation/Resec platform A1 (map from hotel to bus stand https://goo.gl/maps/eoqWu). The name of the stop is Polacksbacken. The Angstrom laboratory will be in front of you. (https://goo.gl/maps/VX3gD)
Bus Ticket: You can buy the ticket in the bus from bus driver. Please mind that you have to buy ticket using your credit/debit card. No cash transaction is allowed in the bus.
More information on the bus service as well as timing can be found in http://www.ul.se/en/.
Currency: The currency in Sweden is Swedish Krona. Sweden is one of the most card friendly country. You can use credit/debit card almost everywhere in Sweden. In case you still need currency exchange, there are couple of currency exchange counters available at the airport. There is also a currency exchange counter from forex.se very close to your hotel (within 60m-70m walking distance). Ask at the hotel reception for the direction.